Thursday, August 2, 2007

Bait and Wretch


I'll tell ya, you gotta keep your guard up all the time. The happy-clappies have gotten a helluva lot more sophisticated than gathering in a circle with guitars singing Kum Ba Yah. I used to be able to sniff them out a mile away (sometimes literally). But now, these baby boomers have infested the jockey shorts of the synod, and now are pulling strings of everything from the CCM, the CTCR, CPH, and every other SNAFU group in the LCMS. See Are Eh Pee!

And they're sneaky now. It used to be they could be identified by pony tails and denim. Don't get me wrong, there's still those out there. But the real sneaky ones are the nicely dressed, clean cut boomers. They're R. Lee Ermey on the outside, but John Lennon on the inside. They may look and act like the nice kid selling AAL insurance, but on the inside is a Che Guevara wannabe. They may try to look like bankers, but they're still the same pot-heads they were while going to Concordia.

Case in point.

I get this record from CPH called "Music Promotional Library 2007". I'm all for free stuff. So I open the box, and the damn things are smaller than a '45. I put it on the turntable, and it makes a helluva hiss. One of the residents here starts laughing at me. After I punched him in the nose, he explained that these records won't play on the old record player. Hell, who said anything about old? I just got this thing 40 years ago. It even has that new 8-Track deal on it.

Anyway, he gets me his record player, and we give a listen to the first tune. The booklet says it's supposed to be the Te Deum. Cripes, I don't know what page of TLH that came from, but it sure wasn't any Te Deum I ever chanted. But it could be worse, I figure. At least it wasn't rap-and-roll or whatever they call that racket these days. There were no tambourines or 12-string guitars.

I skip over to track 3 - Veni Sancte Spiritus. Now this is looking promising. Could it be possible that CPH is reforming its image as a purveyor of useless trinkets and trying to act like a church publishing house? Well, a fella can dream, can't he?

The music opens with a Latin chant - which is sufficiently medieval to scare away the campfire crowd. But then it happens. I knew this was too good to be true! The tinkly piano, the wispy, whiny vocal that sounds like a choir of ten-year old girls, the nauseating sound of "contemporary worship." The damned chameleons at CPH are trying to sneak in "contemporary worship" into my chapel under the radar by doing it in Latin. The whole tune is typical LCMS tripe. Whiny. Feminine. Campy. Flutey. Fruity. But every few bars, there is a half-assed attempt at "chanting" in Latin.

The "emerging church movement" meets the "Ablaze!(tm) movement." The result? I need to make a movement. In fact, I think I'll save myself the trouble right now and just stick my finger down my throat.

I shot a note to that kid Ratzinger and told him to watch out - given the latest indult giving the green light to the Latin Mass and all. As we all know, when the LCMS gets a cold, the pope sneezes.

14 comments:

  1. Dear General:

    As a relatively recent recruit to the Mighty Fortress and refugee from the "contemporary church movement", may I ask you for your recommendations on hymnody deserving of the Name?

    Thank you!
    Christina
    http://blairchurchproject@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear General:

    As a relatively recent recruit to the Mighty Fortress and refugee from the "contemporary church movement", may I ask you for your recommendations on hymnody deserving of the Name?

    Thank you!
    Christina
    http://blairchurchproject@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to walk out if I ever made the mistake of walking in to a "contemporary worship" service. Would still again if I were still attending.

    I love rock & roll. I love motorcycles. I love big bowls of chocolate ice-cream.

    I don't believe ANY of them belong in a church sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. General Scuttlebutt,
    Lutherans are wanting to be evangelicals like the ones at the megachurch I visited that met in a gym. Two of the volunteers were wearing Viagra t-shirts. I kid you not. The pastor was doing a sermon series based on the latest Spiderman movie. How long will it be before we have Lutheran pastors in Spiderman costumes waving Viagra samples around? It can't be long. For more on the role models for the LCMS, visit www.sliceoflaodicea.com and see the whole evangelical freak parade as you've never seen it. And you thought the Lutherans had problems. If Kieschnick stays much longer this Ablaze thing is gonna have local Lutheran parishes with hula praise dancers, yoga contortionists, pastors riding Harleys down the aisle, liturgical rap "music" and giant movie screens replacing the chancel for movie clips from wingclips.com. (That's a site just for pastors to download their favorite movie clips for sermon illustrations.) It is actually already happening..

    ReplyDelete
  5. General,

    Ah, those pics have got me all misty eyed. Reminds me of my Concordia University-Lost-By-The-River-And-The-Forest-Near-Chicago-Whatever-The-Hell-Its-Called-Now days. Looks like the chapel services they ran there.

    I always liked the one day I walked past a classroom filled with DCE (Destroying Christian Education) students who, for this class they were taking, were making posters. We didn't do that in my Latin, Greek, or Hebrew classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina:

    Which name? Bait or Wretch? Anything published by GIA is crap - especially Marty Haugen or anything by the St. Louis Jesuits. Man, those guys give me the creeps.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I need to make a "contemporary church movement." If I'm not discreet about it, CPH will publish it in a supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouse:

    I'm with you. I like my '47 Mercury, but I'm not going to make a crucifix out of a tailpipe and stick it in the chapel. Hard concept for nitwit young people these days (and when I say young, I mean the under 70 crowd).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pax:

    If Viagra shirts will stiffen the offerings and create growth, you can bet some LCMS 'crat will be on board. Which means, soon the seminaries will be on board. Which means the ship is sinking.

    I figure most of the LCMS's problems are the bureaucrats themselves. They need a little lead in the pencil if you get my drift. Maybe a few of those little pills would give these district and synodical officials something else to do with their time (and I'll bet the old nags back home won't be complaining either) instead of trying to make pastors commit suicide and make LCMS church life a living hell.

    I've never used the Viagra myself, but I'll tell you, the stuff is traded like smokes in jail at the retirement home.

    The LCMS is doomed. As far as I'm concerned, it's a race to see whether it explodes before I celebrate my century.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Calov:

    Aren't you the guy that made the dogs salivate? Anyway, I hear ya. I have visited some of those Concordia colleges, and they are basically Sunday schools with dorms. What a joke!

    I have been to VBS sessions that were more theologically rigorous than what these DCEs call "theological education."

    I just can't figure out what they have more of in hell, DCEs or Deaconesses? Both of them exist solely for the purpose of undermining pastoral authority. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty of them down there to keep the Council of Presidents company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If we are looking to the Synod to solve our problems, we're looking in the wrong place.

    Synod problems are a reflection of problems from within congregations as much as from without.

    The solutions must be found in looking to Christ, and getting our congregational houses in order, and only then will Synod problems begin to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What does the General have to say about STS at CTS? (and no, I'm not talking about venereal diseases - though there are some similarities and they both involved whoredom).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lawrence:

    Agreed.

    What we need is for You Know Who to return, walk into the Intergalactic Center(tm) with a whip and overturn a few tables. Only when our Lord and Savior has kicked synod's ass will it begin to heal. Or is that "heel." I used to say it to my dog. It listened about as much as the synod.

    In other words, the synod is no longer going to heal in this life than my gout. Gout is a lot like synod - painful, but not worth the trouble of amputation.

    I treat 'em both the same way: Advil, Jack Daniels, and doing my best to ignore it.

    Come Lord Jesus, and bring a Louisville Slugger!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Father Fatty:

    STS? CTS? You kids use too many abbreviations. Hell, I still can't figure out AM and PM (though I know it has something to do with the first drink of the day).

    Son, you need to be more specific. I'm old. I'm still trying to get used to the AM dial having "kilohertz" instead of "kilocycles" on it. Of course, my new radio has a band called MP3 on it, but the damn thing won't tune in anything.

    Oh, I think I get CTS. That's the Bible College my grandkid's going to in Fort Wayne. But STS? Let's see, I know about STDs (you would not believe what goes on in these retirement homes), I know about STP , there are some airplanes called SSTs, and the bugspray I like to add to my gin to give it a good little kick has DDT in it. But you're going to have to help me with the STS.

    If it has to do with whores at the seminary it must have to do with the mission board or CPE. Other than that, Jack, I'm oughtta bullets.

    Over.

    ReplyDelete