I got this e-mail from some kid in the LCMS Intergalactic Center(tm), I think he's the first vice pooh-bah or some such, named "Bill Diekelman, comma, campaign spokesman." Yeah, that's what I want on my tombstone: "Campaign Spokesman." That's a churchly-sounding vocation, dontcha think? "Campaign Spokesman." What the hell has the Holy Cath and Ap done for two millennia without "Campaign Spokemen"? Good Lord, we in the Misery Synod(tm) have more silly-sounding titles than the Ku Klux Klan! Of course, they probably have more guys wearing robes than we do...Anyway, the funny part of the letter is what I put in bold, right near the end. As I was reading this, I was myself "in the midst of a movement" - if you get my drift. And if Blanche has allowed the White Cloud to run down to the sorry remains of the cardboard tube, I always take an e-mail or two from the Synod into the WC with me. I like to think the LCMS bureaucracy is good for something, being that I'm always eager to put the "best construction" - especially when I've been eating Mexican. If there's one thing the synod is good for it's promoting "movements."
And lest we forget, the initials of "Board for Missions" is "B.M."
Next time, "Bill," how about a courtesy-flush?
Dear Brothers in Christ,
Greetings on behalf of the global Ablaze! movement of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod and its 29 partner churches around the world.
As we embark on the historic Fan into Flame campaign to provide new resources to support Ablaze! goals, I wanted to write every pastor of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod to provide a little more information about both Ablaze! and Fan into Flame. E-mail in this series will be sent each month, and I hope you find this information helpful as our church body strives to communicate the saving Word to a world in need of His love and salvation.
Your 9,000 fellow pastors, most of whom are parish pastors, some who serve other ministries, and some who are Emeriti, connect with the Ablaze! movement at various points. Being involved in the pastoral ministry, we know the joy of sharing the Gospel message of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and of being in the midst of people who are sharing that vital message with others.
For us clergy, this is nothing new. Most of us have been sharing the Gospel all our lives. These days we are privileged to do so as pastors. We mean for our lives, touched by the Spirit of God, to be a living witness of Christ in us. Today we call that being Ablaze! It has had other names in the past, and will have other names in years to come.
Next time we will examine what it means to be in the midst of a “movement.”
In Christ,
Bill
Rev. Dr. William Diekelman, Campaign Spokesman
This message is being sent to all pastors on the Synod roster with e-mail addresses to keep you informed of the progress of Ablaze! and Fan into Flame. If you do not wish to receive future messages, please write back to fanintoflame-admin@lists.lcms.org.
It's bad enough to set a sinking ship on fire, and now they have to "fan" it into flame. The LCMS is pretty intent on taking down the Arc of the Church. Maybe it's time to jump ship, boys! The only other alternative is for us die-hards to pass around a few fire-extinguishers!
ReplyDeleteAnon:
ReplyDeleteI'm an old army grunt. I'm a fighter, not a swimmer. I'm too old to learn Slavonic, and I sure as hell don't want some papist priest gawking at my caboose after I've just taken Mass from an altar girl.
As FUBAR as the synod is, I'm stuck in it - that is, until it self-destructs, like that tape recorder in Mission Impossible (which should be the LCMS's Mission Statement(tm)).
I say screw the fire extinguisher. Instead, light a smoke off of the burning hull of the synodical ship. If you're going to go up in smoke anyway, you might as well enjoy a good carcinogen on the way to Jesus First's Locker.
One of the Baby Boomers here at the home likes to chant: "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire..." That's the only chant (other than that Taize crap) they'll go for. One of my aging Disco queens likes to sing "Burn, baby burn! Disco inferno" - which I think would make a great synodical theme song - although I think a better one is this: "Roto Rooter, that's the name, you just flush your troubles down the drain!"